Language: Swearing and mature language permitted with some limits
Sexual Content: Sexual content is permitted with some limits
Violence: Violence is permitted with some limits
“Nunquam Non Paratus”
In ancient Greek mythology Athena was the Olympian goddess of wisdom and good counsel, war, the defence of towns, heroic endeavour, weaving, pottery and various other crafts.
All of those things are to be expected in the stories we want to tell. (Including even the part about weaving and pottery, if you’re so inclined!)
WHO WE ARE: The USS Athena is the tip of the spear: one of Starfleet’s mighty Prometheus-class starships assigned to defend the borders and protect the innocent citizens of the Federation. We keep the peace, but stand ready for war. We stand for justice – and we have the teeth to administer it. Forming part of one of Obsidian Fleet’s finest task forces, we are steadfastly dedicated to safeguarding peace in the Alpha Quadrant.
Under Commodore Jacob Kane, the USS Athena leads Task Group Paladin, heading up Starfleet operations in the Cardassian/Breen/Tzenkethi border regions.
September 2023 - Updates!
We’re almost at the point of wrapping up Season Two: Episode Two, featuring the perilous Trial of Jacob Kane..
Which will lead us nicely into some significant changes for the sim and the overall stories we’re telling! The next few days will see Captain Kane promoted in-character to Commodore, and taking on more responsibility in the wake of recent events. That will lead to the creation of Task Group Paladin, a small group of NPC ships that fall under the new Commodore’s purview; and a great opportunity for some different storytelling.
And we’re counting down the days to our exciting new storyline: Season Two, Episode Three: “Trojan Horse”
November 2023 - New Mission Launched!
Hello all, this is your Commodore speaking…
November saw us draw to a close Season Two: Episode Two “Wrath of the People”. We look back fondly on yet another misadventure featuring our daring crew of troublemakers. It was a close run thing, but everyone came through unscathed and wrapped up in a neat little package. That the JFC very quickly swept under the rug…
I know what you’re all waiting for, so I’ll skip straight to the good stuff. MISSION AWARDS SEASON! Though please, if you see Will Smith knocking around I would rather not get slapped in the face please…
– The “How Many Rooms Can I Destroy…I Mean Redecorate…Today?” award goes to Alex, AKA Lt Zade (and his miscreant batch of NPCs) who have escalated through the felonies this mission. Not only breaking-and-entering, but then kicking a grenade into the Ready Room. I’m starting to think it was deliberate, you know…
– Ushering in the inaugural “Don’t Tell Anyone I’m ACTUALLY a Terrorist…” award, Serahni’s Lieutenant Ryan, who once again proved why our ship needs a competent scientist in a crunch. Especially one that used to be in the Maquis and can probably jury-rig a half-dozen methods of killing you…
– The “I’M THE FEMALE JACK BAUER, DAMMIT” award is presented to Lieutenant P’rel. At this point, it’s only a matter of time before the President puts P’rel on speed-dial for dangerous renegade operations. Because she plays by her own rules. Which she doesn’t, because she doesn’t play by *anyone’s* rules. NB: Special recognition also to Finn for being the ‘Chloe’ to P’rel’s ‘Jack’. It’s a 24 reference. If you don’t get it, you’re dead to me.
– A joint award, now, for Nveid and Xavier. We’re going to call it the “The CW” award, because if any moment can be turned into a deep and meaningful personal heart-to-heart, we can guarantee it’ll be you two. Or George. Or Teyo. Yeah, it’s probably Teyo…
– Allow me to also include a Special Achievement award for this mission only: the “Phoenix Wright Wannabe” recognition is granted to Firestorm to Ennien, who may have set a world record for the number of OBJECTIONS in a single court case.
As much as we have those light-hearted moments to enjoy our adventures together, I do need to place on record a couple of sim adjustments now live:
1) Obsidian Fleet saw fit to promote our dear Captain Kane to the rank of Commodore, which has now taken place in-character after a few months wait. This brings in some in-character tweaks, as he now has command of more than one starship. Paladin Squadron will be forming an NPC group of support vessels that will appear with us from time-to-time. These ships are restricted to the Sim Leadership team unless under special circumstances. More info on them can be found on our wiki page. Let me know if you have questions about them.
2) With the addition of Adam to the Sim Leadership team previously, I’ve seen fit to ensure he is able to contribute more effectively to mission advancement in-character, which is why we have elected to promote P’rel to the rank of Lieutenant Commander and given the additional responsibility of Second Officer (with Thy’lissa Shan getting that overdue transfer off the ship). This change has been made for mainly OOC reasons, so if you’re wondering about IC consquences, direct concerns to me privately.
3) Finally, I want to flag a milestone that Nova has kindly drawn my attention to. Our wonderful XO Kieran has been officially a member of our sim for 3 years (I think the anniversary is early next week). I genuinely don’t know how I’d cope without a sounding board and support like him, and I know that you all love having him to write with too. Help yourself to a beer on me, mate. Well deserved for putting up with me for that long.
AND NOW: Our new mission begins. “The Trojan Horse” pits Athena and a squad of elite Starfleet Marines against a terrorist with Federation hostages…
March 2024 - Kicking In Doors
The USS Athena is battling terrorists and playing escort to elite Starfleet Marines this month! I’m sure nothing bad will happen to them…
We also welcomed aboard Jake, playing engineer Liam O’Connor!